As devoted pet owners, we want what’s best for our animals. Taking the necessary steps to ensure their safety is one of the most important things we can do. Every year thousands of pets suffer for getting into what seems like ordinary and harmless household items. Items we may all have around the house that we would never think can cause harm to our best friends. Below are 5 hazards you may need to watch out for:
Swallowing prescription pills could kill your pet. Keep your four-footed friends away from all medication, closed or open, because they could knock it around, chew on it and can open it in seconds.
2. Liquid Potpourri
Liquid-potpourri ingredients can breed ulcers in animal’s mouth, throat, and gastrointestinal tract. They can be badly burned lapping up hot oils and detergents. Although experts said that cats appear to be more at risk since they are more likely to climb up to reach simmer pots, but dogs are not exempted. Formulas used to make liquid potpourri are also toxic to dogs.
3. Pine-Oil Cleaners
Your floor might look good and clean with this cleaner, but there is a danger you didn’t know about that your dog is at risk of. The phenol content of these products can cause serious liver damage in you pets. Even a simple exposure can be harmful. Your pet might unknowingly lap up spill or just lick the wet stuff off her feet.
4. Polyurethane Glue
You would never think this stuff as an attraction to dogs but if dogs happened to see something like a bottle lying on the floor, they would think of it as a toy. This stuff can cause severe harm to your pet because it goes to stomach when swallowed, absorbs moisture and expands forming a large, rock-like mass.
5. Loose Change
Choking on any coin is not mainly the reason for this to be avoided for your pet’s safety. Coins contain zinc which is toxic to them. The zinc content dissolves into the red blood cells as it sits in your pet’s stomach, resulting in severe anemia and kidney problems.